Monday, July 13, 2009

Leaving empty handed?

This morning found me at Half-Price Books - the delight of my existence is this chain of used book stores. Like any used book store, there's the funny, unique, strange, out of print, and the rare.

Take, for example, this lovely book called White Trash Gatherings. (Link enclosed just to prove it's truly a published title.) I had no idea the quality of a get-together such as this. The title aside, there were plenty of recipes inside. And there's a precious quality to craft ideas such as pinto bean covered toilet paper rolls used as napkin holders (no, I'm not kidding).

Oh, I was really tempted to pick up a book entitled Scouts in Bondage: And Other Violations of Literary Propriety. That didn't happen, but I did flip through it (and giggled a few times - just a few).

I never have a focus in a book store. I always have an agenda when I go to the mall, or the grocery store, or the drug store. In and out. Never with book stores. I roam aimlessly through the aisles. What will catch my interest today? Medieval literature? Perhaps some algebra to go with my David Sedaris? Yeah, there's no hope for me.

I try to limit myself time-wise, or I could be there all day. Not that that is a bad thing. I just don't want to completely lose track of time. Besides, I already have a bunch of books at home I need to get through before even considering the possibility of leaving a book store with more unread titles.

Note: There's also a White Trash Gatherings II. Just when you thought you couldn't get enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search & Win

Quotes

 

Sam-in-Progress | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates